Friday, January 20, 2012

I Didn't Mean To Turn You...Off

Inspired by today's blog at verysmartbrothas.com Check 'em out!

We are all very fond of listing the reasons why men or women should date us, but what about the things that would make someone run for the hills? If dating is like a job interview, I might as well come up with an answer for that ridiculously frustrating question: What is your biggest weakness?

I promise, I just have a few.


1. I'm arrogant/vain.

From the moment I was born, I spent more time with my dad than anyone else. When I would cry at night, he'd take me out of my crib, walk downstairs and stand in front of the hallway mirror so I could look at myself...and I'd stop crying. Seriously.

Not much has changed since 1982--I still make sure the screen door is closed all the way so I can catch a full-length glimpse of myself before I head to work. I study my walk as I pass mirrored buildings; I check my reflection in the rearview mirror more than I check for other cars.

In short, I love me. Spassusafa.

2. I'm spoiled.

I promised I would never share this, but for the sake of full disclosure, I'll let y'all in on a little secret. Every morning, Shayla makes me coffee. I don't mean just turning on the machine...I mean she makes it, pours me a cup and brings it to my room for me. Of course, that makes her a completely awesome sister (LOVE YOU, BESTIE), but I realize it's rather abnormal. Okay, and it's kind of selfish too. I can't really expect my husband to bring me coffee in bed...can I?

If you're willing to do that, send me an e-mail, text, Facebook message, Twitter DM, BBM or a note tied to a pigeon. Thank you in advance.

3. I'm cheap(ish).

This has been well-detailed in previous blog entries, but I am the GREAT bargain hunter. If it's not on sale, don't even bother talking about it. If it is on sale, and especially if it's on clearance, you've got my attention. There are few things in this life that bring me more joy than seeing a red slash on a price tag.

But I will pay full price for some things. Like....uhhhhhhh......hmmmmmm......

Let me get back to you on that.

4. 96% of rap music makes me ill.

Try to see it from my perspective, folks: words are my life. I can't get so wrapped up in the beat that I fail to hear the ignorance flowing through my speakers. It doesn't move me the way a song from Ledisi, Kem or John Legend does.

I do like that new Big Sean song though. Brings out the latent chickenhead tendencies in me.

5. I'm not a night owl.

I get up at 5:00 to exercise and I never take naps. Contrary to popular belief, I can stay up past 11:00--it's just that you'll see a very different side of me late in the midnight hour. The censor button is off, and...well,I won't ruin the surprise for you.

6. In spite of it all, I still have love for the Dallas Cowboys and the Detroit Pistons.

Need I say more?


So, if you ever see me walking down the street with some man--and I'm holding a steaming hot mug of coffee and wearing my Pistons t-shirt--go ahead, give him a head nod. Pat him on the back. Start a slow clap. He will have earned it.

Be Encouraged,

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment