Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Instruction Manual

For Christmas, I received a bunch of new technology...so much so that I finally had to add a wireless network to my cell phone package.

At first, things were going well. I added the network to my new tablet and soon, I was downloading all the games, books and music I could handle. The network even showed up on my cell phone. But for some reason, I just couldn't get my laptop to jump on board. I tried everything--a reboot, a diagnostic check of my wireless card, even disabling all other connections except the new network. And yet, I still saw the red X next to the internet connection. It became the bane of my existence.

In a last ditch effort, I rummaged through my junk closet and found the box for the router. Inside was the instruction manual, still in pristine, untouched condition. I fumbled through the pages until I found a section on laptops. As I read the words and followed the illustrations, I had to suppress the urge to slap myself on the forehead.

DUH!


I had spent nearly three weeks trying to figure this out on my own; three minutes after I read the instructions, my laptop was up and running at lightning speed.

You know I'm going somewhere with this, right?

Everyday, we do the same thing. We depend on our human intellect to help us wade through the murky waters of depression, relationship woes, major career decisions and financial setbacks. We've got all the answers we could ever need in our minds; we say "no thank you" when help is offered. We've got this.

And yet, we remain frustrated. Perplexed. Confused.Stomach rumbling. Teeth grinding. Head aching. As the clock rolls toward 3 in the morning, we're sitting on the edge pondering that age-old question: Why isn't this working?

The answer is simple. It (whatever "it" is in your life) is not working because you haven't read the instruction manual.

Go find it. Maybe it's in your junk drawer or in the trunk of your car. Perhaps it's on the mantel in your living room, collecting dust bunnies. I'm not judging. Wipe them off and start reading. There's even a troubleshooting section in the back if you're not exactly sure where to go. When that connection is established (or reestablished), please don't facepalm. Just remember the next time you find yourself in a situation far bigger than you, you have help. You have the instruction manual.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding. In all thy ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.
--Proverbs 3:5-6



Be Encouraged, y'all.

-K.

No comments:

Post a Comment