Saturday, May 26, 2012

Welcome To The Comfort Zone

I notice I've been getting a lot more blog hits recently....and I haven't written a fully detailed post in a few weeks. That makes me uncomfortable, like when one of your homeskillets shows up at the house on Saturday afternoon and you're wearing a shower cap and Eeyore pajamas. 

Since I'm all about challenges, I am challenging myself to consistently post here. I would say every single day, but let's be honest--it's playoff season. I doubt I can write award-winning entries while screaming obscenities at my television. 

As always, feel free to leave comments. 

________________________________________________________________________________

You know what makes me uncomfortable? Talking on the phone. I am beyond grateful for the technology which allows me to type my thoughts instead of saying them. In my mind, I am incredibly witty in those 160 characters. On the phone, I suffer from what I like to call Peanut Butter Mouth Syndrome. There I sit, with my tongue to stuck to the roof of my mouth, nodding my head like the person on the other end can see what I'm doing. I use every excuse in the book to get off the phone as quickly as possible. 

Nope, I wasn't about to go for a run. I was still three blocks away from church. And my cell phone coverage was just fine--I just got tired of talking. Sorry. 

While we're on the subject, I hate when someone sends me the "I'm calling you in five minutes" text. Just call me. Don't make me sit there for 300 seconds, agonizing over what I'm going to say. 

Yes, it's really that bad. 

But, it's all in my mind. It's the same way I feel about public speaking, another one of the things on my uncomfortable list. Inside, I am a ball of nerves. I'm afraid I'm going to say the wrong thing or fall flat on my face--literally. I'm clumsy like that. Yet, every time I finish a presentation, people walk up to me and remark on how calm and self-assured I look while speaking. Likewise, I have friends who, for some unknown reason, think I'm just fantastic at phone conversations. They actually ask me to call them more!

Y'all sure you're talking to the right K. Marie?

The point is, we all have something that makes us supremely uncomfortable. While mine is talking on the phone, yours might be wearing shorts. Or eating dinner alone. Or applying for a new job. Or showing interest in someone of the opposite sex. But that topic requires a whole 'nother blog entry.

Whatever it is, just remember that perception is not reality. What you find nauseating, others find enticing. Overcoming your anxiety could be the push someone else needs to face their own issues. Your misery may very well become your ministry.

Like Tweet, you can call me. 

.....Unless it's after 11. 

Be Encouraged, 

K. 




No comments:

Post a Comment