Monday, March 30, 2015

Writing Challenge, Day 7: Running For My Life

Ah, poetry.

Looking back, every poem I have ever written sounds like a Toni Braxton ballad or an India Arie anthem. My parents always did say I was the dramatic one!

I’m trying for a different tone today—more indicative of where I am in my life right now. Let’s see how this goes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Left, right
Breathe.
Left, right
Breathe.
She passed me
Breathe.
I need a faster song
Breathe.
He passed me too
Breathe.
It's too hot
Breathe.
My nose is running
Breathe.
My stomach is cramping
Breathe.
I’m not going to make it
Breathe.
This is the worst I’ve done
Breathe.
There’s the photographer
Breathe.
My thighs are probably jiggling
Breathe.
I bet I look a mess
Breathe.
Is that--
Breathe.
the finish line
Breathe.
They’re cheering for me
Breathe.
That clock can’t be right
Breathe.
I made it
Breathe.
Thank you, God 
Breathe.
Breathe.
Breathe.

Best race ever.

--K. 

No comments:

Post a Comment