Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Maintenance Prayers

(For Anonymous)

A few months ago, I was driving down the highway and Appalonia started "talking" to me. She does that sometimes. Her message center told me that I needed to change the oil soon. I made a mental note to do so and promptly forgot about it.

Everyday, Appalonia chimed her warning bells and told me I need to get her to the shop. Two weeks later (don't judge me), I got tired of her friendly reminders and went to Hibdons on my lunch break. The mechanic asked me how long it had been since her last oil change, and I told him it had been a little more than 3,000 miles...

Okay, closer to 9,500 miles.

Mechanic looked incredulous. He said: "Ma'am, if you want to keep your car performing efficiently, you've got to do some maintenance."
*******************************************************************************************

Make no mistake about it, God is still in the blessing business. In the lives of my friends and myself, I see God moving. Situations that have been on my heart for months or years are coming to a resolution. I see the sun breaking through the storm clouds of this life, and it makes me smile.


But alas, we are human. Sometimes, we forget.

We store in the deep recesses of our minds those times when we were so low, nobody but God could dig us out. We forget those times when we were desperate for Him and Him alone. We are so focused on basking in the beauty of the blessings that we forget to maintain what God has given us.

How do we do that? I'm glad you asked. Try the Maintenance Prayer.

1. Acknowledgement

As everybody's grandmother used to say: "People don't have to be nice to you; so when they are, make sure you tell them thank you." I thank God everyday, but there are moments when you have to get really specific:

God, do You remember that night a few weeks ago? I was tossing and turning and I just couldn't fall asleep. My heart was troubled and I turned to you, making my requests known just like Paul said (Philippians 4). Even though the situation wasn't resolved immediately, I felt peace about it. I slept like a baby after that. Thank You.

Indeed, there are moments when you must look back in order to move forward. Take a moment to thank God for what He has already done.

2.Surrender

Lord, in the midst of this incredibly awesome time in my life, remind me that this is still about Your will and not mine. As smart as You made me, there are still a lot of things I don't know. There are even more things I don't understand. But what I do know is that You always have my best interests at heart and it all works together for my good. Have YOUR way, God.


Ephesians 3:20 says: "Now unto Him who is able to exceedingly abundantly above all we can ask or think..."

God. Not Kayla.

********************************************************************************************
And there you have it.

I love that I am writing this on a Saturday, a day most people set aside as a time to run errands. You grocery shop, clean your house, get oil changes...

You know, maintenance.

I encourage you to take a few moments today and do some maintenance on your relationship with God; maintenance on the blessings He has entrusted to you. Maybe, like Appalonia, He has been sending you warning bells all week long. Maybe like me, you've been putting it off. Hopefully, you can't ignore it anymore and you are ready to go see the "mechanic."


And just like Appalonia, you'll soon be driving through this life, as good as new.


Be Encouraged,
K.

No comments:

Post a Comment