Tuesday, March 15, 2011

May I Keep It Real?

I was driving down Memorial this afternoon when I noticed that Appalonia was pulling to the right. I turned into a gas station and was not surprised to find that the tire was flat. I called my girl Nadia to help and (with the aid of another Good Samaritan) got the tire changed.

Ordinary occurrence, right?

When I looked at the tire, there was a nail embedded in it and it was ripped straight down the middle. If I had gotten on the highway like I intended to, that very easily could have turned into an accident. Chills ran down my spine as I thought about how, once again, God spared me from dangers seen and unseen.

As I drove home, I started thinking. You have plenty of time to do that when you can only go 30, as my spare happens to be the approximate size of a dinner plate. I thought about my purpose in this life; obviously, God has me here for a reason.

But what?

That is the question of the day. In my heart, I feel as if I am just existing. I have become complacent in my life--it ain't broke, so I won't fix it. Yet, something is telling me that is no longer enough.

This is far greater than my career, relationship status or anything like that. Again, I find myself at a crossroad and I am not exactly sure where to turn. I have no doubt in my mind that God will be with me wherever I decide to go, but I have a feeling that what He desires of me is far bigger than any task I have ever accepted.

The conundrum of the twenty-something: can I step out on faith?

What gives me great comfort at this confusing time in my life are those who have traversed this path before me.

I think of my mother, who stepped out on faith until the very end.
I think of my father, who has this incredible ability to remain calm in the face of life's biggest storms.
I think of my cousins, who have inspired me by branching out...'cause life is so much bigger than Oklahoma.
I think of my girl Mina, who walked away from a "good" situation because her heart knew that GREAT was on the horizon.
I think of all the people, even strangers, who have shared their stories with me. Even the most unstable person has a pearl of wisdom if you're looking hard enough.
I think of me. I have been here before, and I know what is required.

I think of God, who really knows me.....I mean REALLY knows me. I can almost picture Him smiling like a child with a secret, for He already knows the conclusion of the matter.

As I type this, I feel someone out there is going through a similar situation. Your world is black and white when you know there are thousands of other colors on the palette. I don't know about you, but I'm ready to dip my brush in some reds, yellows, pinks and blues to create my mural.

My life.

Chase the rainbow.

Be encouraged,
K.

No comments:

Post a Comment