Friday, February 25, 2011

Fear Factor

I was talking with some good friends of mine last weekend, and I found myself lamenting once more about being stuck in Oklahoma. Ever since I graduated from SWOSU, I have threatened to get on the next thing smokin' out of this state.

And one of them said: "What's stopping you?"

Three little words that kept me awake all night.

I've watched as people in my circle spread their wings and fly, and it is a beautiful sight. And time after time, I run to the cliff just to put on my brakes and fold my wings behind my back.

What is stopping me?

Fear.

What if I don't make it?
What if I'm not good enough?
What if it all blows up in my face and I fail....BIG TIME?


I believe this is the Achilles' heel for many twenty-somethings in the 21st century. While we crave success, there's a little voice in the back of our mind that tells us not to rock the boat.


As believers, we are told that God's will is good, acceptable and perfect. I submit that we should add another phrase: "God's will is not complacent."

From Genesis to Revelations, we see God calling people to step out of their comfort zones; to risk suffering, pain, embarrassment, failure, even death.

Maybe He is calling you to completely change your career path. Perhaps He is telling you to let go of a friendship or relationship that has served its purpose. He could be asking you to take on a leadership position....or maybe, He's calling you to preach His word.

Call it your own personal fiery furnace, lion's den or fish belly....sometimes, it feels like all those and more.

But just like our Biblical brothers and sisters, you just have to say yes anyhow. Yes when it hurts; yes when you can't see what's in front of you; yes when you are terrified. And God, because He is who He is, will open doors where you couldn't even see a doorframe.

Who knows? Maybe next year, I'll be writing this blog from the East Coast.

Trust.
Faith.
Love.

No fear.


I John 4:18,

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment