Monday, February 28, 2011

My Reality

(Inspired by yesterday's conversation)

Soul Train and pancakes
on Saturday morning
Mama
Daddy
They loved me
I knew it

Grandmothers
Grandfathers
Pastors
"the village"
Raised me
Believed in me
Shaped me

I stand
on the shoulders
of greatness

My reality.


Good Black men
in their twenties and thirties
Holding the door open for me
Calling me 'Kayla' or 'Miss'
They see my heart
Not just my thighs
my breasts
my lips

They respect me
I respect them

I LOVE them.

My reality.

Sister-friends
Inspiring
Encouraging
Not jealous and petty.
Celebration in good times
Comfort in bad
A magnetic force
of beauty
strength
courage
SUCCESS.


I am my sister's keeper

In my reality


I still believe in love

Family

God

Confidence is my rhythm

Faith is my melody

I sing

in the key of life


I am more than a stereotype

More than a movie character

More than a conqueror


THAT

is my reality.


--K.

No comments:

Post a Comment