Thursday, February 3, 2011

Single: By Choice or Situational? Part II

As I mentioned in my last blog, there are those who want to know why you're single and there are those who REALLY don't want to know. I have a word or two for those in the latter category.

You've been approached by these folks too. She is the old lady in church who cannot understand why you're single with no babies at (fill in your age). He is your frenemy who insists dating is not that hard and you must not be trying. They are those well-meaning saints who are quick to remind you God does give the gift of singleness...


These things are said to evoke a response. Though their words come across as well-meaning, their true intent is to place a seed of doubt in your head.

What is wrong with me?

Why can't I find a good man/woman?

Am I destined to be forever single?


It's dangerous cycle, my friends--one in which you do not want to find yourself. When the Trauma DJ starts playing your song, it stays on repeat, effecting and infecting your choices and actions.

In the words of Public Enemy, "don't believe the hype."


Though the group is different, the answer is pretty much the same: just smile and walk away.

And for those of you who don't want to know, stop asking.

Don't make me break out the pie chart.

--K.

1 comment:

  1. Beatifully done!!! I knew you could do it & make it sound good! This made me think about a few things. Maybe I move to quickly from one new thing to another...then I go to the other extreme of allowing too much time to heal w/o allowing myself to experience companionship again. I don't know...single by choice or circumstance is hard to break down. But I appreciate Pt 1&2 and look forward to a Pt 3 maybe?!? Lol!
    ~Kita

    ReplyDelete