Tuesday, December 21, 2010

18: A Childhood Friend

Lahree,

I was going to tell you earlier, but for once in my life, I wanted at least one of my friends to be surprised!

It cracks me up when people assume we have just been friends since high school. We go all the way back to Epperly--where you had a white girl jheri curl and I.....

Well, I'm not sure exactly how to describe my hair. "A mess" would be pretty accurate.

I am not at all surprised we have stayed in contact throughout the years. You are my sister in every sense of the word.

But, I owe you an apology as well. I should have been at your wedding.

If I called you right now and said I needed you, there is no doubt in my mind that you would do everything in your power to get here. Yet, I left you hanging on one of the biggest days of your life. All these years later, I still feel really terrible about it.

Envy kept me from being there. At that time, I was going through that twenty-something, melodramatic, "nothing in my world will ever be right" crisis. My mind was singularly focused on my walk down the aisle; anyone else was out of the question. I thought that was the only way I was ever going to be truly happy in this life.

And God, in His infinite wisdom, took my little blueprint for my life and smacked me in the forehead with it.

I missed out on making memories with my lifelong friend because of selfishness and pride. That is one of the few regrets I have in my life.

Nevertheless, here we are. There is no question in my mind what your role is in my life. Our friendship transcends distance, drama, tragedy, time....and a few really awful Mariah Carey albums. Just like the necklaces we shared in the fourth grade, you have a piece of my heart.

Love you, girl.

--K.


No comments:

Post a Comment