Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 14: A Letter To Someone I've Drifted Away From

Kendra/KT,

You were my very first best friend. In fact, you will go down in history as being the only mutual best friend Shayla and I had.

I try to explain to my church kids that your "church friends" are lifelong friends. Even when we left St. Luke and went our separate ways, I knew you had my back.

That was solidified on a windy, freezing cold day in February 1999. I was standing in front of Mount Olive in a daze; Tracee's funeral had just ended and nothing seemed real or right. Someone tapped me on my shoulder--it was your mom. You were standing right beside her. Kendra, I will never be able to put into words how much that meant to me. Thank you for being there.

And now, here we are. Grownups. Paying bills, living life and trying to figure out who we are and where we fit in this world. There are still a lot of unknown variables, but one thing I DO know is you will always be my sister-friend. You are a constant and I love you.

When I do come down there, we're going to live it up. We might even have to bust out the dance routine we did at our third grade slumber party.

Scratch that. I'm too old for Hammer pants.

Love Always,
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment