Monday, December 27, 2010

22: Someone Who Gave Me My Favorite Memory

Dear Jeanette,

In the past fifteen years, we have shared more than 300 dinners at Chili’s/Chelinos; driven over 15,000 miles (and lived to tell about it) and spent more than a collective year at each other’s homes.

If we’re not sisters, I don’t know what to call it.

Still, you are the one who gave me my favorite memory. I still remember like it was yesterday.

After a week of dealing with kids at Vacation Bible School, I was completely exhausted. I woke up at eight and I had every intention of lounging around all day until I looked at my phone: “I’m in labor.” I jumped out of bed, grabbed my keys and took off for the hospital. I was not going to miss this for the world.

When I got there, I met Maurice for the first time. Bless his heart, he did not say three words the whole time. Of course, what could he say in a room filled to the brim with ALL your friends and family?

The time came. I was sitting out in the hallway because….well, our friendship just doesn’t go that far. I heard a lot of commotion and finally, I heard a cry. At that moment, that little wrinkly sucker grabbed my heart and to this day, he is the light of my life.

Thank you for sharing him with me. As he grows and develops his own little personality, I fall more in love with him each day. In my eyes, he can do no wrong….except that time he kicked me. We’re going to work on that.

I love you all very much.

--K.

No comments:

Post a Comment